Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Samhain Project '24: Oddity

                                             

Oddity is a European flick with chills galore.  I mean it's soaked in them.  Unfortunately I can't go into a great deal of detail without playing spoiler.  Damn my eyes.

I will say that the first few minutes of the film are a chest-grabber.   You're stuck to it.  Several moments are legitimately terrifying, and that's before the title card appears on the screen.  You have a young married couple remodeling a giant old estate out in the middle of nowhere.  The wife encounters more than a person should in those first few moments. 

The film takes place in only two locations in fact.  A ratty old hospital where the husband works, and the aforementioned estate.  Very simple. 

The sister of the young wife works her way into the plot. She is a twin, blind, and has the ability to divine information from objects, especially if they've touched someone.  She makes a visit a year after the film starts, and I don't want to ruin what she brings with her.  But that night, the amount of twists and turns that take place, many of which will catch you completely off guard, are numerous but not over the top. 

Creepiness is embedded in every frame, questions float through the air.  There are jump scares, but they're not remotely cheap.  The movie is so tightly wound, it seems to fly by leaving you wanting more. 

Oddity, is a true oddity.  A modern horror film, that feels gothic, with the capability of making you crawl backwards up your chair. 


That's not rhetoric.  I did that shit. 


I'm sorry I can't give you more.  I just don't feel right ruining this one for you.

Watch with a group.  Leave the lights off at your own peril. 

No comments: