Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Santa Project Season 2: That Christmas Feeling ( A Vinyl Destination entry)


                           November 30, 2023

Many years ago when I was a kid my parents had an end table in the living room. It was octagonal shaped with two ornate doors that opened from the left and right. 

Inside was where my parents record collection was stacked on top of each other horizontally. Any record collector would find that to be a sin of the most unforgivable order. Included in their vinyl collection was a smattering of Christmas albums.  That Christmas Feeling was a JCPenney record that was among those holiday records of my folks that also included a Jim Nabors classic, the legendary Bing Crosby White Christmas, and The Glow of Christmas various artists album (which I also incidentally ran across at a local record store this last week.)


Beyond its yuletide silliness with the Yule log and the candle and the pinecone, That Christmas Feeling contains some great tunes. The songs include the legendary Andy Williams It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen by Johnny Mathis, No Place like Home for the Holidays by Robert Goulet, (ROBERT GOULEEEEET!) among many others, including a couple from Lennie Bernstein and the New Christy Minstrels. 

So when I found this at the local record store, I wasn’t only buying a piece of my childhood back from the time vacuum, (as I can still remember sitting on my butt and going through those Christmas records in front of that little end table), I bought a pretty good collection of vinyl Christmas tunes.  What a great way to start  the holiday month of December.  I began it with not only the warmest piece of nostalgia I could even imagine, but the music for the season to back it up.



No comments: