Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Santa Project Season 2: Bound to the Past : "Twas the Night"

 


Last year I had written about how Little Golden Books were a key to Holiday storytelling as a kid.  Check that out here: Little Golden Holiday

However, as a wee sprite, I had a couple of copies of Twas the Night Before Christmas.  They were identical in terms of cover art, lettering font, and artwork.  One was a standard Little Golden Book, the other what they called a BIG Little Golden Book.  The BIG one was oversized, had a glossy and hard cover and the same interior, just bigger. 

I was fond of the story by Clement C. Moore to begin with, but dug the art work of Corinne Malvern, particularly as Pa leaves Ma in bed as their long winter's nap is interrupted by either Santa Claus or his Ring going off.  He leaves his cap on.  This was one of the big mysteries of the story to me, and I remember asking my own Ma about it.  Who goes to bed with a cap on, yo?  I think my Mom and Dad read this book to me countless times from toddler to Elementary youngster.

What the hell was a kerchief?

I usually have to ask my dog Bloo for permission to read the book now; however, as he has become attached to a certain extent:   

Anyways.  My introduction to this classic was the books my parents gifted me which came long before I viewed reruns of the Rankin/Bass animated special of the same title which was released in 1974.  It featured the voice talents of George Gobel and Joel Grey, and I remember watching it in the early 80's, along with some of my sister Pee Wee's friends who had come over to hang.  They found it hilarious.  Especially the goofy mayor.  For some reason they got a kick out of that dude.  

Strange for high schoolers, eh? 


Anyway, "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...."








No comments: