Monday, June 24, 2024

Orangey's Journey Part II

 ORANGEY'S JOURNEY PART II

After a week or two at Tonya's place, it was decided that Orangey would need to spend some time on display at the Allen, TX PetCo so potential adopters could see him, and see him up close instead of on the website for his rescue sponsors.

I wasn't big on that.  I didn't like the idea of him spending entire nights in a big chain pet store for an extended period.  I even asked if I could pick him up at store's closing and return him in the morning.  This was asked with humor, of course, as my job hours would not permit this.  Tonya took my request seriously, at which point I assured her I was just joking about something I knew was impossible, but in my heart was a perfect world situation.

She then said, with my explanation about kidding coming after she spent several paragraphs explaining why my idea was against policy: "Are you fucking Crazy?"   I busted into laughter, but I still didn't like Orangey in that situation, because at the least it made me sad for him. 



I asked Tonya for frequent updates and got them, as Orangey got the entire top level of his condo to himself.  The people who came in to clean and give attention to the cats had wonderful things to say about Orangey's persona, as he withstood his stay in his little box.  Those folks that came in loved him, and this came as no surprise to those of us who knew the big "O". 
 

After only a week in the Kitty condo, Frani's niece Arielle decided she was interested in taking care of Orangey for a time as a foster.  So Tonya arranged for Orangey to get picked up by Arielle, supplied him with food and toys and sent him on his way.  Arielle brought him over to us, where we doubled his supplies.  Arielle has now had him for well over a month, and apparently the relationship is one of joy.  Orangey is very affectionate with Arielle, taking over part of her bed at night, while having the run of her place during the day, and the kitty tower we gave as a housewarming gift. The daytime arrangement appears to be good with Orangey as she can watch him on the Wyze camera we gave her to keep an eye on him from work.   (Yes, we're like overprotective parents.)





This past week,  Arielle had to take a trip, so we kept Orangey while she was away.  We had to keep him in a spare room, which saddened me, but due to his F-IV, we cannot risk possible encounters with our own kittie babies.  However, the room is much bigger than the laundry room his crate was in when we first rescued him.

So it was a touch of a compromise.  We were somewhere in the middle. 



To our surprise and great joy, he really liked it there.  Very little meowing, no clawing, and he found a way to do his exercise "zoomies" as Arielle calls them, by running around and under the bed, and playing with his ball pyramid.   His appetite was every bit as good as we could have hoped it could be for a kitty changing locations again, without knowing how it would end up.  I mean, after all, this room, while being an adult sized room, is much smaller than Arielle's apartment where he has free reign.  Orangey's comfort only seemed to expand, right until he was picked up by Arielle upon completion of her trip.


Orangey is at ease, and I couldn't be happier.  I miss him now that he's gone home, but I can relax, as we'll have him for another stay next month as Arielle has an additional trip to take. 

No comments: