Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Samhain project 3: cure

Last night Frani  and I watched a gift from my kiddo Aidan called Cure, which is a Japanese film from 1997. Directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, it starts out as a serial killer investigation film, and a damn fine one. 

We have a String of murders here in  which the perpetrator is caught immediately in each case, but every victim suffers the same MO. The detectives begin to tie hypnotism to the possible means for what’s happening here, and that’s when it takes a sharp turn into the bizarre and the creepy. 

Also, amnesia is an element that wedges itself in sideways to do two Things: muddy the water, and drive you insane.

Once the movie makes that turn I was mentioning, you realize that you’re in the hands of a different Director. This guy basically is applying the elements to the canvas, and is providing you with the paints and the pallet to finish the work. What is really happening is up to you to decide.  I’m sure the Director has his ideas, but he’s probably curious what you think.  

I have my theories as to what happens at the end, and I think it’s 85% what most people think, but there are elements swirling about the ending events that have you questioning their meanings.  Cure is intense at times, frightening at others, and in a couple of instances drew laugh out loud reactions from me . 

I highly recommend this film but pay close attention as there’s important things in the film’s basements and attics that you might miss, if you’re not paying close enough attention.  

You’re meant to provide Cure as much as it’s giving you. 



No comments: