Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Samhain Project Season 3: Cursed Films II : Cannibal Holocaust

 "Awful"

That's the word that ends this documentary from Shudder.  It's what actor Carl Yorke uses to describe how The Italian film Cannibal Holocaust makes him feel when he sees it now.  And his testimony through this short doc is convincing. 

Four primary cast members performed in this thing; a legendarily controversial "found footage" bloodbath from 1980 that purports itself to be the first of that cinema verite style.  As my child, Aidan, points out,  Andrzej Zulawski beat director Rugerro Deodato to that punch (not to mention the impalement image, which is so often associated with Holocaust) with On the Silver Globe.  Kid knows of what they speak.  Words are on this blog to prove that.

Of those four actors I mentioned, one thinks the film is high art, two feel it's a crime on celluloid, and one refuses to appear on film to talk about it.

The late Deodato, in his interview segments, feels everything about this movie is wonderfully powerful and beyond reproach.  Especially in regards to its realism.  He strikes me as a dirty old man when others describe his words and actions, and the footage shown here, (of which the most graphic is left out) is more than enough to prove my point. 

I can't be considered an expert in my opinions however, as I haven't seen the film.  I refuse to.  I am a deep lover of animals, and the aggravated murder of creatures captured on film is something I wish to avoid.  I will take the actors' word for how awful it was, however, as the footage that goes "to the brink" in this documentary is all I need.  In combination with their testimony, the case is closed.

This film has its admirers, many working in cinema today.  But there are those interviewed here and film scholars spoken to, that while they may see something here to be admired, they also seem to be backing away while making the declaration.

That word keeps coming back.  When watching most of the folks involved with Deodato's film, there's a haunted look, something that appears to be a mixture of guilt and fear.  One perfect word describes that expression.


"Awful."  




No comments: