Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Samhain Project 2 : Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III

 I was genuinely surprised by TCM III.  I've done some research on the history of the series and this one is generally regarded as the weakest by many.  I have a hard time figuring out why that is. Now, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect, and there are clunky moments probably caused by studio meddling, but I actually genuinely liked this film.  

One thing I enjoyed is the feeling I got that they were trying to blend the two distinctly different tones of Tobe Hooper's original and sequel.  To a degree I feel director Jeff Burr and crew had some success in doing so. 

Its gore from KNB FX is extremely limited, and I guess that's the case with the unrated version as well, (also allegedly from studio meddling, and wrestling with the MPAA).  Make no mistake, the film is grim enough in my view, but true gorenuts will be disappointed with its lack of gristle, as it doesn't even approach the splatter level of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

A nice cast of genre veterans and an early appearance by Viggo Mortenson, who does not appear to be slumming it, adds a professional vibe to it that could have been lost.  The introduction of Kate Hodge who has had a lengthy career (many will know her from the Brandon Lee film, Rapid Fire) is here along with William Butler (Tom in Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead) and Ken Foree (Peter from Dawn of the Dead), and much more. They do quite a bit with roles that could have been phoned in by lesser performers. 

Overall, Leatherface has a lot more going for it than the pundits give it credit for and I give it a Halloween recommendation.

No comments: