Saturday, October 1, 2022

Samhain Project 2: Barbarian

 



I recommend anyone going to see Barbarian to do it the way my wife and I did. 

Go in blind.

The less you know the better as this film is as unpredictable as any horror film I've seen in some time.  So I'm not going to give you much, and I'm not throwing story details at you at all.  

Here's what the movie will give you thoughts about:

Airbnbs and the fact that men don't listen to women on multiple levels. I like the message, being somewhat of a feminist myself.  Storywise, that's all you get.

Georgina Campbell, Bill Skaarsgard, and Justin Long all leave it on the proverbial field with their performances.  There are legitimate jump scares, but this movie builds itself along with multiple slow burns which is an effective tool I've not seen achieved before successfully.  In an odd way, it gives you a chance to catch your breath.  You'll need it.  Because you're going to meet the grinder more than once. 

This is one of the recent parade of what critics are saying is a great modern run of horror.  I find that a bit bothersome, because not all of the good ones get a ton of press if you're not constantly digging through the trades and the web.  But this one doesn't take you to the place where you feel disgusted and devastated for weeks afterwards. Who wants to hear "Man, this movie will fuck you up."

Personally, not I.

This one is fun and there is humor, but make no mistake, it gets dark, bringing real life elements into a grisly fictional painting.

Barbarian is one terrific horror film and much like Jordan Peele's Get Out, is a debut work showing that a comic mind (Zach Cregger of Whitest Kids U Know in this case) can go to a not-so-funny place and drag your ass along. 

And make you think.

No comments: