Saturday, March 30, 2024

Orangey's Journey

 "He was horrible.  The lone biker of the apocalypse

A man with all the powers of Hell at his command.  He could turn

the day into night, and lay waste to everything in 

his path.

He was especially hard on the little things-the helpless

and the gentle creatures." 

-H.I. McDonough

Raising Arizona


These cruel types are why I did what I did.  What I did for the orange one.  With tears in my eyes, clenched fists, and an overabundance of love in my heart.

I have removed him from the path of violence.


ORANGEY'S JOURNEY

For quite some time we were visited by a feral, yet gorgeous tabby that we took to for his beauty.  His smoky fur, his bright green eyes, his striped tail that wrapped around his rear end as he ate the food we left out for him.  We named him Stormy and fed him regularly, as he appeared regularly.  We even built him a little house and insulated it in hopes that the front porch would become his permanent, and safe residence.  

Then, one night, some sounds erupted from our front step, the location of the feedings.  When we gathered at the front door, a gorgeous orange medium length cat was approaching.  I supposed he was hungry.  He couldn't look at Stormy, who was rigid at the dish, and the new guy appeared intimidated.  

He left quickly.  I followed but couldn't get him to hesitate long enough for me to pick him up, or console him.   Frani and I assumed because of his looks and demeanor that he lived nearby and was just exploring.  

We were wrong. 

He began appearing more often than Stormy even, who shortly thereafter moved on to somewhere else.  It became obvious this orange fluffball (who Frani began calling "Orangey") had taken to Frani, as he would eat, and then stick around to roll about and be petted and rubbed.  Frani anticipated Orangey's appearances, and this caused him to sometimes wait over an hour for her to come outside with food and love. 

This was proven by the cheap WYZE camera we installed to see if cats were taking to the little house.  One time, the camera let us know Orangey was on the front step while we were picking Cameron up from work.  We yelled at the app for Orangey to stay put while we drove home, so Frani could get him fed when we returned. 

He did.


This was all very cute until a couple of months later, Orangey began to show up with ugly injuries.  Some limping, frightening cuts, a closed eye, and eventually a bloody ear that had me deciding enough was fucking enough.  Orangey, nor Frani and I could take anymore.  This little cat wasn't equipped for the wild.  

I had to act. 

I was on spring break from my job and spent an entire Thursday on the phone and keyboard, searching for solutions for Orangey's conundrum.  I wanted to save him from an outside world that was unfair to this friendly and peaceful creature.  I eventually found my answer when our friend Tonya was able to hook us up with not only a trap and vet visit, but a crate to hold him in as he recuperated from this ruckus. 

Frani and Tonya are the true heroes of the story as Frani's repeatedly gentle attention and consistent healthy meals brought Orangey back to us, and Tonya's knowledge of the feline species and connection to a rescue provided us with the ability to catch Orangey and store him safely for a couple of days.  

We did catch a raccoon the first night of the trapping, that was exciting. 

So, shockingly, that first Friday afternoon Orangey made a rare afternoon visit and was trapped.   The veterinarian opened from lunch 15 minutes after, and we were able to get him in for a walk-in visit.   While Frani parked and I waited in line on the sidewalk with Orangey in the trap, I apologized to Orangey. 

 I remembered the frigid night Frani and I tried to get him in the little house we built for Stormy, when Frani opened the door to the heated house of ours for him and he refused entry.  I remembered the hard rains, wondering if he had shelter.  I remembered what a bastard I was for allowing it all unhalted. Through tears and huffing breath I told Orangey through the caging of his trap that I was sorry I hadn't acted sooner, that I hadn't done anything with the first injury, that I hadn't trapped him earlier.

For the first time in my life I asked an animal for forgiveness. 

It was at this vet visit that it was confirmed that Orangey was far from feral, and actually one of the most affectionate cats all of us ever dealt with.  He gave cuddles to the tech, the veterinarian, and also Fran and I as he was treated, received tests, and antibiotics.  We took him home and fell in love.  This little boy was so in need of affection that the first thing he did upon release from his crate after eating, was rotate his snuggles between Frani and I.  That night, Orangey must have had the most restful sleep he had enjoyed in possibly months.


Tonya surprised us by letting us know that as a true superhero, her assistance went beyond traps and crates.  After she returned from a trip she would take Orangey to stay with her for a time as future treatments were pending, her connections with the rescue would be a true boon to Orangey's recovery, and with her working from home, this poor boy wouldn't have to spend so much time alone. 

For two days,  Frani and I fed, held, and loved Orangey, and he gave 100% of that affection back.  

So when it came time for Tonya to pick him up, I wasn't ready.  I cried hard and long at his departure, even though I knew it was the best thing for him. It wasn’t easy for Frani either. 

Relief came with videos and pictures of Tonya's loving care and Orangey's quick acceptance of it.  Tonya bathed and cleaned him, gave him room to roam and regular cuddles. 


Orangey eventually was neutered and put in a position to be eventually hopefully adopted.  While with Tonya, we saw videos of him playing with toys and responding to attention in ways we didn't think possible. 

What's next in Orangey's story is still pending, but I'll be damned if any one of the three of us will allow it to be negative. 

This little guy has been through hell, and will never sleep outside, or have to fight for his life again. 


We love you, Orangey. 




No comments: