Saturday, December 30, 2023

Auld Lang Syne Language: Pee Wee and Me and New Years Eve



In the very early 80's, The Holidays were always very important to me, before and after my father passed away.   I had (and sometimes still do) a tendency to develop a bit of a post-holiday depression.  The way to counteract that was to stretch the holidays into New Year's Day, with the post-Christmas highlight being New Year's Eve.  My mom would often go out to celebrate the ringing in of the new year with friends, so my sister Pee Wee and I often stayed home for the big event. 

We actually had fun, (I know I did anyway) and part of that was Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve.  We would toss some Pizza Rolls in the oven, crack open some Cokes, fill the Pepsi Superman glasses and have a blast in the early part of the evening by playing board games, with Solid Gold and then maybe a movie playing in the background.  Then, when Dick Clark took the air, we enjoyed the bands playing live music from different locations across the 50 states, and then watching the ball drop at evening's end.  

It may not sound like much, but Pee Wee is a bit older than me, and it had to be a bit of a pain in the butt to spend New Year's Eve with her annoying little brother.  New Year's wasn't the only time she was saddled with the responsibility of little Rob.  All my siblings were cursed with that burden at times during this period, and I'm sure it was a pain, but they rarely showed it.  God Bless all of them.  

But it was always nice to have someone to stay up late with on December 31st and greet what would hopefully be a better year ahead, and know I was in a safe place with someone I loved.  

Thanks, Pee Wee. 



No comments: